Wednesday 30 April 2014

Eight-Year-Old Girl Traded Away as Compensation in Pakistan.

"Narrated Aisha: The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six. We went to Medina & stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj. Then I got ill & my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) & my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, & I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand & made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, & when my breathing became alright, she took some water & rubbed my face & head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes & Allah's Blessing & a good luck." Then she entrusted me to them & they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah's Apostle came to me in the forenoon & my mother handed me over to him, & at that time I was a girl of nine years of age." So tells Sahih Bukhari, the most trusted source of Mohammed's example in Islamic scripture, in volume five, book 58, number 234.

Mohammed serves as the prime example of conduct for Muslims, he is al-insan al-khamil the most perfect man. Therefore, if he saw fit to consort with little girls then Muslims down the centuries have as well. And let us not pretend that free will ever comes into it, the above quoted sahih (watertight) narration from Bukhari didn't exactly portray Aisha being consulted upon her wretched circumstances, did it? In parts of the world where the rule of Islam obtains without let or hindrance we see the same horrors occurring, as reported by Dawn News on Monday (hat-tip to The Religion Of Peace):

Jirga gives minor girl in vani to settle dispute

A local jirga in Shamali area of Battagram has decided to marry off an eight-year-old girl to a 26-year-old man to settle a dispute between two families.

Local sources said that the jirga was held last week to settle a dispute, which was result of the second marriage of the father of the minor girl. They said that father of the minor girl eloped with a married woman few years ago.

The custom of handing over women to rival party for settling a dispute is called vani in the area. The practice is still common in remote parts of upper Hazara.

"We have registered an FIR against a cleric, who solemnised the marriage of Farnaz Bibi with Sadiq Shah, and 12 other people including family members of both the bride and bridegroom," said Jehanzeb Khan," the district police officer of Battagram, on Sunday.

He said that Meherban Shah, the father of victim girl, contracted second marriage with the wife of Sadiq Shah some three years ago and fled the area.

The official said that local elders convened a jirga to settle the feud in accordance with the local tradition last week. The jirga issued a decree to hand over the minor daughter of Meherban Shah to the former husband of his second wife, he said, adding the knot was tied in the same jirga.

The official said that Syed Mehboob Shah, the maternal uncle of the victim girl, approached police to register an FIR on Saturday.

He said that FIR was registered against 13 people including Maulvi Ghufran Shah, Sadiq Shah, Nanga Shah, Mudasser Shah, Syed Ali Shah, Mehtab Shah, Akbar Shah, Zubair Khan, Younas Shah, Yousaf Shah, Bashir Shah and Meherban Shah.

Mohammad Rafique, the SHO of Shamlai police station, told journalists that raids were being conducted to arrest the people, nominated in the FIR.

Mr Rafique said that though nikah of the minor girl was performed in the jirga yet the wedding ceremony was scheduled to be held after some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment